Real life stories from foster children..........
I know how they feel, I felt the same way and it takes a lifetime to overcome.
We need to intervene......NOW!!!
"It took me a lifetime to overcome, but today I am FABULOUS......."
Helen Ramaglia - Founder, former foster child, foster adoptive parent
"Every child deserve to 'age out'
FOSTER CARE STATISTICS:
- Currently, there are approximately 425,000 children in foster care in the United States.
- It's estimated that 115,000 are eligible for adoption.
- We have an 80% failure rate in our current foster care system (nncpr.org)
- Nearly 1/3 of alumni have reported abuse in foster homes (nncpr.org)
- 70% of the total prison population (who have been in prison) have at some time in their lives been in foster care
- 27% of foster children wind up in prison
- In 2009, about 57,466 children were adopted from foster care.
- 69% of parents who adopt from foster care are married couples, 31% are single-parent families.
- Median age of child in foster care: 8.1 years.
- Race/ethnicity of children in foster care: 38% Caucasian, 30% African-American, 22% Hispanic, 10% other.
- The average child in foster care goes through three different placements and stays in the system for about 30 months.
- Each year, about 26,000 children age out of foster care.